1.05.2010

Oh Wait - Your Crazy is Showing!



Happy New Year...four days late! Story of our lives here. Who knew this mommyhoodshipness (whatever its called) would be so challenging. Good thing Bicho is so cute or else I would have to turn in my two weeks notice. As our family has grown, I have been contemplating what environment I want to create for our home. Of course I picture everything sparkly with no secret messes hiding in every bedroom closet or dirty diapers piling sky-high. And yes, ladies and gentleman, my perfectionistic (word?) idea of heaven on earth has once again have nipped me in the bud. Has that ever happened to you? No so fun - the bud nipping, I mean.

The perfect example is this past Sunday, which was Bicho's baby blessing. I was so consumed with the nitty-gritty details of chicken-macaroni-bowtie pasta saladness, and throwing every piece of junk that was downstairs into our bedroom so we had the appearance of having a clean home, that I missed the very spiritual experience of my first born child being blessed by my husband. Don't get me wrong. I was there. But I wasn't "there". And I know Bicho felt my anxiety because she cried during the whole blessing. And after. And for most of the day. So after all the planning and cooking and stressing, I ended up spending the lunch-in after the blessing upstairs with Bicho trying to keep her (and myself) from crying. And that is when it hit me. I focused so much on the appearance of having it together that I missed out on the here and now.

So my resolution for 2010 is to NOT have it all together. Sure, I will try. But I my goal will be to not "miss the mark" and focus on the life here and now. Be grateful for what I have...not the perfect put-together life I wish I had. So here's to showing your crazy every once in a while.

P.S. If you are wondering why there are no pictures of the baby in her blessing dress, refer to the post above.

4 comments:

The Neerings Family said...

Rachel, I soooo agree with you. I hated the fact that I was late to things and that I always managed to have something on the shirt (stain or spit up) when I SWEAR I left the house with it clean. If you focus too much on being "perfect", you'll go crazy and not in an ok way. It's amazing how you have to get used to a whole new kind of crazy with 2!

j & s said...

oh my dear sweet rachita! i wish i could have been there to watch and help out! i totally get what you mean and sadly we're all not perfect but thats the best part! cause we cant be! thats a fantastic new years resolution and we can help each other reach that goal! love ya! :)

Mike and Bianca said...

That's a good resolution. I think I've realized this during the past year as well. It's not possible to do everything. We just have to decide what's most important and then if we have time for the "extra" things then great!

The blessing was beautiful and the food was great. Thanks for having us over. She's so precious!

Steph H said...

I think there's beautiful in the chaos, don't you?

I'm glad I read this today since we're blessing the twins this Sunday. It'll help me keep it in perspective. Thanks for being so wonderful.