First of all, I'd like to point out that I am working on my blog so it isnt so lame (because I never write in it!). For those of you who dont know what I do for work, I interview foster/adoptive families to make sure they are appropriate candidates for the program and write a 30 page home study stating to the court why I feel they will be good to foster/adoptive family. So..needless to say, when I come home from work the last thing I want to do is write in my blog. But - I am turning over a new leaf and hoping my fingers dont fall off from all this typing!
Anyhoo, this weekend has been the first weekend Terrence and I have had for ourselves. My parents are both quite ill so we have spent several consecutive weekends helping them out around the house and yard. So finally, this weekend we declared it our weekend! And guess what we did -- NOTHING. And we loved it. During the week we are always on the go so for one weekend it felt nice to sit back, relax and enjoy hanging out with each other. I feel so luck to have Terrence - he truly is my best friend and we have so many common goals. We are both dreading work tomorrow (yet another thing we have in common!).
Warning: This next section may be offensive if you live in Gilbert, Az or feel your nails need to match the color of your car (this will be discussed below).
Ok - so with that warning I will continue with my thoughts of living in the land of Gilbert, Arizona. I feel very blessed to have a brand new house with a outside mall, large parks and restraunts nearby. One thing I have yet to understand (and it may take the rest of my life) is the mentality of those that live in Gilbert. They normally "roll" in a Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti or Lexus (which makes my 2002 Pontiac Grand Am with the driver mirror duct taped to the door stick out like a sore thumb). Even local advertisors have picked up on this "mentality". Terrence and I were listening on the radio to a local advertisment for a new Toyota Dealership that is being built around the corner from us. In the ad, they had two women talking to each other about the dealership having a pirate ship for the kids to play on, a salon to have your hair and nails done and a massage parlor. At the end of the advertisement, the woman says to her friend, "I cant believe we got the same color!" and the other woman replies, "Are you talking about our nails or our cars?" - and they giggle together. And then I puked. In my mouth. On the way to work. Because thats what people do instead of buying a matching car or having the same nail color as their BFF.
Now please dont get me wrong. Not all people in Gilbert share this "mentality". Nor do they all drive super nice cars (which is a whole other blog as to why someone would want to spend $50,000 on a car). It has just been my observation of the people I have met and conversed with in my neighboring area. Overall, despite my negative comments, I do have to admit that Gilbert has an awesome school district and is a safe, family-oriented city. There - I didnt totally bash on the city in all of my blog. (A-Thank-You!)
2.18.2008
Random Thoughts
Posted by Our Paper Plates at 8:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
maricopa rocks! you should totally move here ;)
Post a Comment