As I contemplate more about starting an organized food storage - with complete meals and such - I realize what an extremely overwhelming task it is. Where do I start?! How much do I store? And how on earth am I going to rotate through it?!
Then the idea to this post came to me. It's not just about the food you buy, but about the faith and preparation you put into it. So here are some faithful steps any latter-day woman (or man) can take towards being self-reliant.
#1. Assume the starting position.
Now, get off your knees and get your rear in gear!
And lets see a little hustle in that bustle!!
Once you start moving, the Lord will start guiding your feet.
"But....but...first I have to get 90 days of food. Then a year's supply. How am I going to do it all?!"
#2. No more weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Now is the time to adopt Nephi's attitude of "I will go and do"! The commandment to be self reliant comes directly from the Lord. And with His help, we can do anything!
#3. Start simple. See those empty juice /2 liter soda bottles/ Gatorade bottles? Wash them out and fill them with water. Put them out of the way on the floor of a closet, or under your kitchen counter. Or buy a case of water at the supermarket or Costco and put that in the closet. There, you've started your water storage. You are awesome!!
#4. At the store, instead of buying enough cans to make one meal, buy double. Store the extra on a shelf set aside for food storage. Do this as often as your budget allows you to and your food storage will grow, grow, grow! Shopping the sales and using coupons will help your money stretch even further. Have you used Krazy Coupon Lady's online coupon database? Before shopping, I check to see if there is a coupon for what I have on my list. If so, I print it off (twice!) and I'm good to go!
#5. Start your shopping trip with a prayer. Pray that the Lord will bless you in your efforts. Pray that you will find the right deals and your mind will be open to other impressions on how to build your food storage. Pray, pray, pray! It truly does make a difference, I promise you!
#6. Find online resources that can help educate you in making the most of your food storage. Here are some of my suggestions below. If you have time, watch Wendy Dewitt's Food Storage seminar (somebody taped it in a set of 9 on YouTube). She is super knowledgeable and willing to share the information for free! (Although she does have a set of dvds for sale at seagull book.) I went to one of her firesides and it was VERY informative and inspiring.
#7. Be open to other ideas that don't involve food but will still help you . I have heard the following: Set aside $5 cash every paycheck in your house (NOT in the bank);
Don't let your car gas tank go below 1/2 full (in case of emergency evacuation);
Make sure to have consecrate oil on hand and stored
monthly temple attendance, daily prayer and scripture study.
Hope some of these ideas have helped! What ideas do you use that help you on your journey to become self reliant? I'd love to hear them!!!
Next week I will be revealing my food storage menu (ooo la la!) and share some yummy, toddler approved (!) food storage recipes. Until then, keep living your life!


0 comments:
Post a Comment