2.26.2010

Personal Preparedness

Recently I have been feeling an urgency to get my rear in gear to get our 72 hour kits and food storage together. Not that I think anything bad is going to happen soon or that I will actually use it in the near future (although you never know!). I do believe it is my priviledge/responsibility as a wife/mother to ensure my family is prepared in case of a disaster - financial, health, medical or even a local (aka no water in the middle of the summer). Not being prepared (or even on the road to preparing) makes me anxious. And as the Lord has promised us..."If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."

If you are anything like me, the thought of organizing food, water and 72 hour kits (oh and car kits!) is so overwhelming that you have no idea where to begin. Thank heavens for people who actually have it all together who have already done their food storeage/72 hour kit/car kits and are willing to share how they did it. Here are the blogs that have helped me out a bunch and I hope you can utilize them too!

(this website has EVERYTHING, including how to make pandemic kits in case of...well a pandemic. I love this site - which is actually written by a brother in our ward.)

(this blog gives you the basics in rotating food storage, preparing 72 hour kits and car kits. And there is a recipe index for how to actually USE your food storage. Genius!)

(this blog demonstrates how to use things you are to have in your 72 hour kits/car kits and reviews products, such as food storage supplies and solar ovens)


What ideas do you have about being personally prepared? Feel free to share!

3 comments:

Lindalu said...

Rach, love your face off! Sorry no blog up-dates. I'm having issues again with pictures, and lets be honest who wants to read a picture-less blog?

Tawnya said...

I had the urge last year and we had an FHE putting together our 72 hour kits. It was awesome and now we're working on the rest of the storage. Can't wait to check out those blogs!

Connie said...

I go through our 72 hour kits every time General Conference rolls around. Check the food, rotate the clothing, make sure I have appropriate sizes (diaper sizes too!), rotate water, etc. It always makes me feel better to have those prepared, if nothing else! :)