9.02.2008

Lighten Up!

When I saw this project from Joy of Joys of Home I knew I wanted to duplicate it to add beauty to my own home. I had a little bit of trouble finding the necessary parts, so I'll tell you where I got mine in case you want to do it yourself! It was so much fun seeing this project come together. Here is what I started out with...

I found some fake candles at Savers (a local thrift store) - I bought three, but only two worked! From this, I learned a valuable lesson - always ask about the return policy. I tried to return the one that didnt work a day too late. But since I got them at $0.99 a piece, I just chalked it up to a beginner's mistake. After spray painting the fake candles, I bought 4" socket covers for candelabras (I got mine at Home Depot for $2.98 and they come in a package of two) that looks like a melting candle. For a light, I went to JoAnns Fabric Store and bought their "Best Value" silicone candle bulbs. It cost $0.98 for a package of two (!), which was a pleasant surprise. I expected them to cost so much more! Joy has pictures of the packages on her website, in case you need more of a visual on what you are looking for!

Project total : $ 6.93

And my finished result turned out like this...

This project was so simple and inexpensive! Even my husband was amazed at how great the candles looked without hardly any work and money! If you do decide to do the project, be sure to thank Joy on her blog for her inspiring work! And of course, let me know how yours turn out so I can share in your creativity!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Once again, I am so impressed.

Meg said...

Ummm.. your a decorating genious!

karen said...

oh I love it! I might have to find a place to do this in so I can copy you!

Come over and i'll show ya how to make the bags. SUPER stinkin easy.

Joy said...

Thank you so much for finding my projects interesting enough to copy them. Your little lights and your letter B turned out great.

You both know my son-in-law, Lincoln Essig. You served in the same mission together. My daughter, his wife, served there too, just two years later. It's such a small world!

The Craig Family said...

I love the candles! I am amazed at what you come up with. Can I just higher you do some projects for me. :) The deal is you make whatever you want at a cheap price and I will pay for it!! :)

The Craig Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy said...

We think the world of Lincoln too. We're so happy that he married our daughter.
Their blog sight is thedcessigs.blogspot.com
You'll have to leave them a note and see if Ali knew some of the same sisters. She went out in 2005 so she might.